- Super User
- Category: Sports
- Wednesday, 07 December 2016 23:42
Champions League round of 16 draw: who faces who? Get the full details here...
Arsenal, Leicester City and Manchester City will represent England in the knockout stage of the Champions League - but who could each side face?
Let's take a look at which teams have progressed, who they could face and all the important dates for your diary.
Who's through to the Champions League last 16?
|Group C||Barcelona||Manchester City|
|Group D||Atletico Madrid||Bayern Munich|
|Group E||Monaco||Bayer Leverkusen|
|Group F||Borussia Dortmund||Real Madrid|
|Group G||Leicester City||Porto|
The winner of each group will be drawn against a runner-up, but teams cannot face a side from their own nation in the last 16, or a club they met in the group stage.
Group winners will play the first leg away and the second leg at home.
What are the key dates?
- Champions League and Europa League draw: 11am GMT on Monday, 12 December
- Round of 16, first leg: 14-15 February and 21-22 February
- Round of 16, second leg: 7-8 March and 14-15 March
- Quarter-finals, first leg: 11-12 April
- Quarter-finals, second leg: 18-19 April
- Semi-finals, first leg: 2-3 May
- Semi-finals, second leg: 9-10 May
- Final (Cardiff): 3 June
Who can the English sides face?
Arsenal could be paired with one of: Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Real Madrid, Porto, Sevilla.
Manchester City's opponents could be one of: Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Juventus, Monaco, Napoli.
Leicester City could face one of: Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich, Benfica, Paris St-Germain, Real Madrid, Sevilla.
Who went out?
Tottenham were the one English casualty, finishing third to secure a place in the Europa League.
Celtic, in the same group as Barcelona and Man City, finished bottom without a win.
Besiktas and Dynamo Kiev may have been disappointed not to make it through a group that saw Napoli and Benfica progress.
And spare a thought for Clubb Brugge and Dinamo Zagreb, who finished on zero points, with the latter not managing a single goal.
Stats of the group stages
- Dortmund have scored 21 goals in this campaign, the most ever in the group stages.
- Gianluigi Buffon missed his first Champions League game for Juventus since 2008. The veteran keeper was rested against Dinamo Zagreb.
- Real Madrid have scored in their past 33 Champions League home matches, the longest streak in the competition.
- Leicester City goalkeeper Ben Hamer is the first English goalkeeper to concede five goals on his Champions League debut.
- CSKA Moscow have not kept a clean sheet in their past 28 Champions League games and their keeper Igor Akinfeev has not kept a clean sheet in the competition for 39 games.
- Barcelona attempted 993 passes against Borussia Monchengladbach, a record in a Champions League game since 2003-2004.