KNUST student dies in a pool...

A 23-year-old level 300 student of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) met his untimely death when he drowned in the university's pool.

The deceased, Benjamin Odonkor Martey had gone to the pool to have fun with his friends after writing his last paper for the semester.

At the pool

Martey, according to his colleagues was not a good swimmer got into the pool at the blind side of his friends.

His friends only got to know of his disappearance when they saw his dresses and phone packed by the pool side and decided to look for him to no avail.

Fearing that he might have got drowned, his friends informed the management of the pool who also alerted the life guards but a search for him proved futile, compelling the management of the pool to call in the police.


Confirming the incident to the Daily Graphic, the Tech District Police Commander, Deputy Superintend of Police (DSP) Mr Emmanuel Adu–Boahen said the incident occurred at around 10pm Thursday.

According to him, at around 7pm on Thursday, December 18, 2914, the police had a call from the manager from the KNUST Pool that one its clients could not be found.

According to him, the manager of the centre told them that Martey and his friends came to the pool around 4:15pm and were having fun.

However, he said some few hours later, his friends realized that Martey was nowhere to be found but his dresses and mobile phone were packed on one of the tables at the pool side.

Quickly, he said his friends started to look for him around the place and when they could not find him, alerted management who also organised a search party with some lifeguards also diving into the pool to look for him.

According to Mr Adu-Boahen, when the police got to the scene, it cordoned off the place and asked that the pool be emptied to see if his body could be found at the bottom.

He said it was around 10pm that the police saw his body at the bottom of the pool when it had been emptied and rushed him to the KNUST Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

He said the body has since been deposited at Anniwah Mortuary at Amena, near KNUST awaiting autopsy.

Source: Graphic Online